September 26, 2006

Scribe Post !


TRANSLATIONS




Alright, so I guess I'm back again, since TEST DAYS we aren't able to have a scribe, so here I am, and it is getting late. So first of all we started off the first class in the morning with .... The second part of our Unit Test from yesterday! Everyone was flabbergasted when Mr. K had mentioned the second part, and everyone was boo-ing.

So anyways, after the second part of the unit test, Mr. K solved the problem on the board. From that I saw all the mistakes I've done, and I felt like I just wanted to grab my test back and correct it, but what's done is done!

Soon after correcting those problems we went off to start the new unit. The new unit was called "Translations", which was familiar to some, and to some, it was new, and to the others, it was a review. Mr. K first wrote on the board and asked us what f(x) = x^2 was. I quickly raised my hand up and told him that it was something called a parabola, I have sketched it out on paint, and please don't laugh, it's just a rough sketch, well you may laugh if you'd like I won't get mad =), anyways the parabola I drew looked like this:





Shortly after that, he continued on and asked us what f(x)= x^3 was and some of the class quickly said it's a cubic, some were probably muttering it quietly, and I yelled out, it looks sort of looks like an "S"! Mr. K, after showing us the cubic and parabola function, he then asked us what this function looked like f(x)= x. Some were quiet and pondering, while some were murmuring it out loud, and quickly I said, absolute value function ! Which looks like this:

Some people in the class when they heard about the absolute value function were stunned, because they had not heard of this function before, or maybe they've heard of it,but just forgotten. So a little explanation of an absolute value is basically, whatever is inside the absolute value brackets, tells how far away from zero you are. For example:


Basically what happened in that graph is instead of "x" it was changed into "5" and that indicated how far away from zero you were, hence that is an example of the definition of the absolute function.

Mr. K then returned us to the basic sin graph and he showed to us the relation to between the graphs. Mr. K asked, "Are these two graphs the same?" The class looked puzzled and we answered no they don't "look" the same. Mr. K replied "That's right, but their equations are the same." " If you know what the basic graph looks like and someone adds something to it, then you'll know what the graph will look like, even though someone added something to it," said Mr. K.

Before we ended the first class, Mr. Kuropatwa asked us, "Do you know what sliding a function is called?" The class looked at him with confusion. Then he tried to show us many hints but we did not get it, until he finally gave up and told us that it was called a translation, he had asked us if we've heard of that term before and I believe some of the class answered "yes", i for one said yes, because it was all coming back, well most of it was coming back.

For the second class, Mr. Kuropatwa had left some questions for us to do. One of them were:

2. If (-2,4) is a point on the graph of y=f(x-1) what must be a point on:

a) f(x)+2

b) f(x+2)

c) f(x-3)-1

Now when you read that question normally you think you got that all figured out, am I correct? Well you haven't figured it all out, since (-2,4) is a point on the graph, you still have not yet finished! What you may have failed to do was to find the original or basic graph f(x). In this case f(x) was (-3,4) how did we know this? Well the question pointed out that (-2,4) was only a point on the graph y= f(x-1). But to arrive to our basic graph we simply just took -2 and -1 and it equaled to -3 for the x value. Now that we have our original graph we are all set to solve those questions.

After we done those questions we played a little game, well, it wasn't really a "little game", more like playing with our calculators. Mr. K showed us a few things about the circle and it not being a function, because it doesn't pass the vertical line test, which at first many of the people in the class did not remember.

Lastly, Mr. K told us to do some of our homework from exercise 7, and 8, and left the class. I hope what I have written today will be helpful, and I would like to do this again another time, so until next time keep reading your notes before you go to bed, and ask many many questions during class so that it may benefit you by growing and learning! Take care to you all!

Also the word of the day!

FLUMOUX - It means to surprise you. It's a very great word.

Next Scribe is Jess. ( sorry for the mishap, it turns out that there are no scribes during test days, so for tomorrow you will be scribe! have fun =) . )

2 comments:

  1. Hi Oliver_796,
    Isn't technology grand! I lost this comment the first time ("your request could not be processed").

    I felt like you were right next to me talking as I read your scribe. Thanks for the title to guide my reading! I really liked your closing, "keep reading your notes before you go to bed, and ask many many questions during class so that it may benefit you by growing and learning! Take care to you all!" and now it's here to be read again since it's so good!
    Best,
    Lani

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the ability to take the audience you are scribing for into the classroom. I learned alot about math today. I also found out what it is like to be taught by Mr. K. I am impressed with your explanations and enjoyed reading your scribe. Test day tomorrow!! Good luck.

    Mr. Harbeck
    Sargent Park School

    ReplyDelete